Saturday, August 25, 2012

Childhood Memories

Okay, so I have to share a story about my mom that brings back fond memories. I keep thinking about it because I keep seeing college students out and about with their book bags…

When I was getting ready to go into Junior High (so I was about 13 years old), I begged and pleaded with my mom to let me get an EastPak book bag. At that time, Jansport and EastPak were very popular and “everyone else was getting one,” so I deserved one too : )

Money tended to be tight in our household, but my mom finally gave in. I forget exactly how much we paid, but it was around $40 – 50, which was a lot for a book bag. I will never forget my mom telling me that I could have it, BUT I was going to use it for a long time. She wanted to get her money’s worth for it.

Well, I used that book bag all through junior high and high school, which I thought was pretty good. When I began my first year of college, I decided it was time to get a new, more stylish bag. I got one, but literally within 2 – 3 days, the strap on my new bag broke, so I went back to the EastPak : ) That bag was so faithful, I used it all the way through graduate school!

At one point, I gave it to my brother-in-law to use, but something (I cannot remember what) came up and I had to get it back. Now, here we are nearly 17 years later and I am still using that silly bag. I took it as my carry-on for our first trip to Africa and plan to take it again on the 2nd : )

I definitely think my mom got her money’s worth out of it!!

As I sit here and think about that (now family joke) memory of my mom and the values that she taught me, I pray that I can provide my own daughter with those same life lessons and laughs.

Thanks, mom, for always being the best! I cannot wait to see the memories you provide for Birtukan : )

No comments:

Post a Comment